mother's day musings with lily
in celebration of mother’s day this weekend, we are delighted to bring you this week’s post featuring our dear friend and long-time kai devotee, lily oswald, the president of sorrelli jewelry (@sorrellisparkle), which is an incredible female-founded and led jewelry brand with 40+ years of experience offering handcrafted with care and providing a lifetime guarantee for its beautiful jewely offerings. similar to kai, sorrelli is sold at anthropologie among other exclusive boutiques across the country. lily has been a longtime kai fragrance devotee, particularly with kai*rose perfume oil. lily’s mom, lisa oswald, co-founder and ceo of sorrelli, is also a longtime friend and devotee of kai. a few years ago, we published a blog post on this beautiful, amazing mother-daughter team at sorrelli. lily is also a new mom celebrating mother’s day with her husband and adorable baby boy, julien. in lieu of mother’s day coming up this weekend, we asked lily a few questions on her new journey in motherhood, plus a few other fun questions. please enjoy this q&a with lily below.
happy mother’s day to all the moms and mother figures out there!
gaye and the kai team
what is your favorite thing about being a mom?
i think my favorite thing is when julian giggles. baby giggles are like magic in your life. they just feel like an audible form of pure joy.
what are your top 5 mom “must-have self-care” items? do you have any go-to products, accessories, personal items that help you to relax & rejuvenate as a mom?
2. i have long been a fan of the kai perfume oil roll-on, i keep one in my travel bag and whenever i’m away i have this teeny tiny container with the most gorgeous scent.
1. one of my favorite self-care rituals is a hot bath after a long day. it is so luxurious! i love using library of flowers forget me not bubble bath. it’s such a beautiful bottle and i don’t mind seeing it next to my bathtub :)
3. my lips are always chapped, so i also carry around the fresh sugar tinted lip balm, which feels like a chapstick but is tinted like a lipstick. i wear the coral a lot in summer and i have a great red that i wear year round.
4. i don’t feel put together unless i curl my eyelashes and put on mascara. that said, i hate when mascara bleeds under your eyes and makes you feel like a raccoon! for years, i’ve been wearing this elizabeth mott mascara which stays put and is just the absolute best in my humble opinion!
5. lastly, chocolate is my ultimate post-dinner indulgence. more than wine or salty snacks, i am a chocolate lover. i go for the tony’s chocolonely pretzel toffee when i can find it. i discovered the brand when i was traveling to amsterdam for work (where they are based). their leadership is doing amazing work trying to fight child slavery in the cocoa industry. a perfect gift for all the moms in your life!
describe what your perfect mother’s day celebration might look like.
my husband asked me this question last night on the couch!! here’s the day i described:
- i wake up to breakfast in bed. last year my husband made waffles with an amazing fresh fruit compote, and i was blown away.
- i get my 30 mins of yoga / alone time
- then i go to our local massage spot for a back massage, so luxe.
- i meet up with jules and matt to walk around town, maybe get a late morning iced latte.
- then we play outside in our yard with our dog june, our firstborn fur baby.
- we wrap up the day with dinner at our house with my mom and dad, and my mother-in-law and father-in-law.
what’s your favorite kai product currently, as a mom of a 1 year old?
for over 10 years i’ve been a huge fan of the kai perfume oil roll-on, but i think i need to get acquainted with the kai bubble bath given my newfound self-care routine!!
does being a mom to julian give you inspiration for creating new jewelry pieces, or for wearing jewelry in different ways than before (pre-motherhood)?
yes! definitely! let me count the ways:
earrings: i never thought about baby fingers being dangerous around earrings before having jules! i used to wear 2” diameter hoops, like the mixed media hoop earrings, a lot, but now i opt to wear big hoops only when i go out at night! when i’m holding and playing with jules, i just don’t want to take a chance. i opt for smaller stud earrings like the isabella stud earrings when i’m around julian so we don’t have any accidents with him grabbing larger, statement earrings.